My name is Susan Edwards and I founded Uhai with my husband Varsay Sirleaf. I am a Chicago south sider by origin, but have had the opportunity to live on the African continent - in both Kenya and Liberia - for eight years.
I created Uhai because I had been experiencing flaking on my scalp since college and the shampoos recommended to me by dermatologists were severely drying out my hair. And I wasn't alone - other women were also looking for solutions to address their dry and breaking hair. I designed Uhai’s products to be infused with high quality African ingredients such as superfood baobab, coconut oil and shea butter, to deliver key health benefits to the hair and scalp.
- May 2017: Launch in Monrovia, Liberia - our home base.
- July 2018: Launch in Accra, Ghana.
- April 2019: Featured in Essence Magazine as Black-owned brand they love!
- August 2019: Launch in US at the African Festival of the Arts in Chicago
- February 2020: Featured in Allure Magazine as a Black-owned beauty brand worth getting into.
- April 2020: Launch in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire and Nairobi, Kenya.